I Corinthians 12:24-27

But God has put the body together.... that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

Friday, March 28, 2014

Ride, horse, ride....

What a great day we had today!  After math lessons this morning, we met my family for lunch, then we all headed over to Uncle Powell's house. (who is actually just a close family friend, but Amanda has called him Uncle Powell forever.)  "Back in the day" Powell was very involved in the competitive cutting horse world.  He has a small herd of retired horses now, but he has been riding a few to see if one would be suitable for Amanda.   Zachy and Friday have recently been ridden and it amazes me how it seems no time has passed at all since they were last rode.  We are talking years here since he last rode them.  Today, Georgia was the horse he picked to ride.  What amazing friends we are blessed with that they take the time to put this amount of work into something for Amanda that may or may not work out. 

However, after today, it seemed that Georgia might be a good fit for Amanda because of her sweet temperament.  These horses are amazing, beautiful and respond so well to him.  Today was the first time Amanda has ridden one of Uncle Powell's horses and I think overall it went well.  Up until today, we have just gone and watched him working the horses.  She is going to have to learn the nuances of his horses and how they respond to a rider.  I think she is up to the challenge as long as her Papa and Uncle Powell are there with her!

If there is one thing that has become obvious to me over these past months, is that everyone has their own way of working with horses.  Uncle Powell is a natural.  He has a gift with horses and I always learn something from being around him.

After leaving there, we went to my parents house.  They live next door to my sister and brother in law.  My niece and her husband keep their horses there and we were planning on Amanda riding there as well.  When I was in high school, we kept a few horses there and I practically lived out at their place.  So today was such a fun day for me.  It brought back so many great memories.   As you can see by the pictures below, Sandra Jo and I go way back with horses.

Tonight, after Amanda rode, Sandra Jo and I rode as well.   It was a so much fun to be back on a horse again.  Amanda comes by her love of horses honestly - I love to ride.
Top picture is me, Sandra Jo and that was my horse, Polecat.  These were around 94/95.
Top picture is me on my dad's horse, Diablo.  I have the best memories of riding horses in Big Bend and Palo Duro Canyon with my parents.
Okay, enough memory lane for me.  When Amanda woke up this morning her legs were hurting, she wasn't feeling good and she was tired.  While that made math a little more challenging, there was no way, however, she was going to miss out on today!  We have been trying to get this planned for awhile now.  I am so glad we were able to work it out before she started her next round of chemo.
No surprise, she found a dog right away.
This is the beautiful Georgia.
Amazing to watch these horses work!
It was like Georgia had been ridden last week.
She was very curious about my camera. 
Oh how I wish this was in focus.  The joy on her face is breathtaking.
Papa rinsed Georgia down after a good ride.
Here is Amanda with Sandra Jo and Cutter out at the Kelley Ranch.
It is always special for me to see these two together.  Sweet memories being made.
I'm praying that Amanda will feel up to making Sunday morning worship services.  This is the time of her cycle where she generally feels worn down and weak.  The days have flown by and Tuesday feels right around the corner!!

I started today off with a great devotional, but I read the wrong day!  It was, however, exactly what I needed to hear:

"Stop trying to work things out before their times have come.  Accept the limitations of living one day at a time.  When something comes to your attention, ask me whether or not it is part of today's agenda.  If it isn't, release it into My care and go on about today's duties.  When you follow this practice, there will be a beautiful simplicity about your life: a time for everything and everything in it's time.   A life lived close to me is not complicated or cluttered.  When your focus is on My presence, many things that once troubled you lose their power over you.  Though the world around you is messy and in confusion, remember, I have overcome the world. I have told you these things so that in Me you may have Peace.Jesus Calling

No comments:

Post a Comment