I Corinthians 12:24-27

But God has put the body together.... that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

Friday, September 27, 2013

MRI Friday

Last night, as we were preparing for bed, the later it got, the more anxious and scared Amanda got.  She has been through this process so many times, I thought that she was comfortable with it all.  Sometimes, it is easy for me to look at the things she goes through as "just another step" or "something she has to do" and forget that she is actually having to go through something. I get anxious just getting a flu shot or dental work done, so I can easily imagine how some of these things could create an anxious spirit and fear.   Despite how my heart broke from it all, it was also a time that I will forever remember as one of our sweetest family moments.  As a family, experiencing the comfort of prayer, reading God's Word and just loving each other as Tom, Brandon and I reminded Amanda she is not alone in this fight is something I will never forget.

This morning started very early.  Brandon went to school today, so we dropped him off at a friend's on the way to Austin.  Thankfully, they fed him breakfast so that was one less thing that had to happen before we left the house!  Once again, I am grateful that God led us to Grace Academy for such a time as this.  I knew my boy was in wonderful, loving hands today while we went to Dell with Amanda.

In order to beat Austin traffic, we left Georgetown before 6:30 a.m., but that put us there almost an hour early.  Given that Amanda was still nervous, that was not a good thing.  We finally checked in and they had us back in a pre-op room in no time.  From that point, it was a waiting game.  Amanda did very well considering we went from expecting her to go back 25 minutes early to actually going back 15 minutes later than our original appointment.  Then, once she was back, we waited some more. 

It was another great experience with the doctors and nurses at Dell.  Today it took a full two hours for the MRI before she was moved to recovery.  After her MRI, they let us back as soon as she starts to wake up and today, our favorite charge nurse was there again.   She was our nurse the very first night we were at Dell when this all began and has been there every time we have been back.  Because of that, she is very familiar with how Amanda comes out of anesthesia and it is not usually a happy process.  Today, they gave her a different medication for sedation and I was amazed at the difference she had coming out of anesthesia!  Amanda woke up much calmer and did great in recovery.  And now we wait some more for the results of her MRI.

I'm sure I have mentioned this before, but Thomas is the calm, practical balance to my emotional, often high-strung self.  That is a good thing on many occasions, however, sometimes, I want him to get a little anxious with me! Seriously!! He is always good to remind that we can not change the outcome, God already knows what lies ahead, so we are to be faithful and trust in Him.  Dang it.  I hate it when he is right.  I will be honest and tell you, it doesn't always work and I still often get anxious, but I know, deep down, that God is in control of all things. 

I like how I have been able to look at Tom and my relationship and see how our differences and our similarities have been an amazing asset to us as a couple over the past six months. God has a purpose for our family, and we see His fingerprints daily as we live out this life we have been called to live. 

So as we enter this weekend of waiting, and as we enter next week waiting, I will do my best not to be anxious, but instead, to be hopeful. 

 Zephaniah 3:17
The Lord your God is in your midst,
    a mighty one who will save;
he will rejoice over you with gladness;
    he will quiet you by his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing.

2 comments:

  1. May we hear his singing and feel the quietness of His love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot imagine what ya'll are going through, but I am amazed by your faith and know that God will be with you every step of the way. I am praying for Amanda and know that the best words of comfort that I can offer you come from the Lord. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths. Prov 3:5-6 Cast your cares on the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous be shaken. Ps 55:22

    ReplyDelete