I Corinthians 12:24-27

But God has put the body together.... that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

Monday, September 9, 2013

Happy Birthday Amanda!

Cycle three has begun!  (Finally!)

As hoped, Amanda's white blood cell count was better than last week so we were able to start chemo today.  Since we had to delay treatment again for an additional two and half weeks, we will do a little tweaking to her treatment plan.  As anticipated, we will continue to expect a six week cycle for each chemo round and not a four week cycle.  Her Temodar dose has been slightly decreased due to her body's sensitivity to it.  A new medication will also be added at the half way point that will help boost her white blood cell count during the second half of the cycle when her numbers tend to drop.  As we are learning, watching how her body is handling the medication and the ability to stay flexible is proving to be a necessity.  I must admit though, this whole "ability to have flexibility" is very exhausting. 

Today, our girl turned 10.  Thank you for all the birthday wishes posted on FB.  I read them to her throughout the day.  You would think that starting chemo on her birthday might ruin her day, but it didn't seem to dampen her joy today at all.  At Dr. Harrod's office, they had a cake, sang Happy Birthday to her and gave her a bag of presents.  For a girl that doesn't like to be the center of attention, I think she really enjoyed today!

The last few days have been challenging for me and have been a roller coaster of emotions.  Just that short delay in starting chemo threw me for a loop.  Losing Grampy hit me hard.  And now today, her 10th birthday?!  I wanted to just whisk her away and run away from it all, but in the real world, we had an appointment to go to.   I wasn't sure how I was going to feel today with the fact that we are celebrating her birthday and yet spending it at the oncologist's office starting chemotherapy.  Today wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be, but it was still pretty surreal.

So as I get ready to turn in for the night, I will focus on being thankful that we had today to celebrate.  I will pray that Amanda continues to be the child that doesn't fit into any of the doctor's protocols.  For some reason, that is a comfort to me and reminds me that God is the one in control of Amanda's life.  And I will continue to pray for a miracle. 

1 Chronicles 16:34
 Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!

She was in a great mood all day - can you tell?
Some of our amazing team of nurses.


Dr. Harrod and Ginger's mini-me!
Happy 10th Birthday Amanda!

No comments:

Post a Comment