I Corinthians 12:24-27

But God has put the body together.... that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

Monday, September 16, 2013

A new week

As I look back over this past week, the one thing that jumps out at me is how poorly Amanda felt for not only this week of chemo, but also the weeks leading up to chemo.  That is very discouraging to me.  We have now completed three weeks of actual chemo, with 9 more to go and as I think of how she has been affected this week, it gives me great concern for the future.  I know, I know, since this has all started, I have spoken of how we live in the day, we don't think about tomorrow, and most of all, we count our blessings and cherish each and every day.  While that is more true today than every before, it is still a struggle for me to keep many of those concerns and fears from swirling around in my head.

So what is a mom to do? Well, if I am honest, there is only one thing I know to do when I feel this way.  I will fall back on the truths that have gotten us through this journey to this point.  I will rely on God's word and his promises.  And I will pray that God's will will be done and that He will be glorified through our lives.

Romans 8 has many passages in it that minister to me.  For example, verses 26-28:

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Or verses 35-39:

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written:

“For your sake we face death all day long;
    we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.  For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
  
Today we had her follow up appointment. This morning before her appointment, we went by to see Miss Piggy and tell her hello. She loves that horse!  We then made a stop at a neat little exotic pet store in Austin on the way to Dell.  The manager was so kind to her.  She held a few of the more, um, normal animals there.  We sent the pictures to Tom, (see below) who was working, and his first question was, "We don't own those, do we?"  Hilarious!   Amanda and I could have really had some fun on that one, but we behaved and quickly assured him we had not acquired any new pets.

In case you were wondering, since chemo made her feel so yucky last week, she was in a wheelchair today in order to help conserve energy because she is still feeling a little weak and just blah.  She does not need one on a regular basis. 

This one was so sweet and cuddly
This one was my favorite - they called him the guinea wig (instead of guinea pig!)

Once we got to the appointment, I was pleased with her labs - they came back great.  Her numbers are strong and that is a good thing considering we went into chemo with her white blood cell count on the low side.  That was very encouraging.  We will continue to focus on getting her to eat well and try put some more weight on her.  Please pray specifically for that area.

So as we move into this week focusing on taking care of Amanda and praying that her strength returns to her quickly, I will work (and maybe struggle) every day to to turn my fears to praising and live each day with joy.  

 Psalms 9:1-2

I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart;
    I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.

I will be glad and rejoice in you;
    I will sing the praises of your name, O Most High

2 comments:

  1. I love to read the updates. Know that we are praying for Amanda and will not cease. My heart goes out to you as a fellow mom. Please know that you are in our hearts and prayers. Tell Tom that he may need a petting zoo of his own:)

    Renate Hood (From Canyon Creek Baptst Church)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Amanda on our church prayer sheet each week. Will continue to leave her there. Please know we are praying for you and Tom as well.

    Mary Sanders
    Secretary Canyon Creek Baptist Church

    ReplyDelete