I Corinthians 12:24-27

But God has put the body together.... that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

Saturday, September 7, 2013

A touching tribute

Today we had a very low key day at home.  This evening, Thomas and Brandon went to a friend's place to do a little dove hunting while Amanda and I stayed home and watched movies.  After the past few days, today was much needed. 

Over the years, Grampy discussed his funeral with Tom and I and what he wanted.  He wanted me to play the piano and to sing a special.  Some of you may not know this about me, but I am a crier.  I cry at almost anything at anytime.  Whether I'm tired, happy, sad, angry, scared - it doesn't really matter.  I will cry.  And when I sing, look out.  If a song moves me, I will cry.  So ever since Grampy asked me years ago to sing at his funeral, I have been planning to record the song I was going to sing because I figured there was no way I could get through it without breaking down.   Thursday night, I went to Lawler and to record my song, all the while, struggling and wanting to actually sing it at the service.  

As we drove to the church Friday morning, I had many friends praying for me that I would be able to do just that.  Even Tom and the kids told me I could do it.  As I sat down at the piano to begin playing prior to the service, this amazing peace settled over me.  When the time came, I was able to sing "He Was There All the Time" in it's entirety, and not break down.  I did what I wanted the most and that was to sing one last time for Grampy. 

Psalm 46:1
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

It was a touching service for a wonderful man.  My dad and my brother-in-law, Stephen, Tom's youngest brother, officiated the service and they both gave a beautiful tribute to a Godly man.  What a comfort it is hearing the gospel during a time like this.  Wonderful memories were shared and we celebrated a life well lived.   Now comes the healing time for our family.  As the kids go through the upcoming holidays, birthdays and hunting seasons, each event and date will be reminders of his absence.  We will cherish the good times and focus on our special memories with joy knowing we will one day see him again.

With any emotional event such as this, it just drains you.  I think Amanda physically made it through yesterday on sheer will.  We already had a full afternoon planned, so we chose to keep those plans instead of having empty time on our hands.  Plus, our kids would have been terribly disappointed. 

First on our agenda was delivering the completed paperwork to ROCK where Amanda was actually able to ride a horse!  With her white blood cell count as low as it is, it is best to avoid large crowds and she tires out much quicker than usual, but as our doctor pointed out, a low WBC will not keep her from riding a horse.  They haven't technically begun lessons yet, but they were training volunteers, so Amanda and the girl she will be in class with were the helpers.  What a wonderful surprise for Amanda, especially on a day that she could really use some cheering up.

From there we went to Brandon's first football game of the year.  I always enjoy watching my son participate in sports.  The opportunity to go out with his classmates and friends and play a little football was a much needed distraction for him.  It was also a special day because my whole family  and some family friends were able watch the game and then enjoy a celebratory dinner afterwards.  Tom and I have a joke that my family travels in a herd.  While that is true, I feel extremely blessed that we live close enough to be a part of each others lives.  We may not always get along, but we love and support each other.  During times like this, the comfort of family and friends is a sweet thing.

Tomorrow is Sunday and we are planning on being in church.  I need refreshment from God's word after this week!

Please pray that by Monday, Amanda's white blood cell count will have come up and we can have a strong start to chemo.  We were told that we will begin treatment, the delay was to see if her counts would improve.  It should be a unique way to spend her 10th birthday.  The team at Dell is already planning on a special birthday cake for her to enjoy while we are there.  No telling what else they will have up their sleeves!  Don't worry - I'll take plenty of pictures.  :)

Ms. Judy and Amanda getting ready!
This horse is Jody - donated to ROCK by The Core of Cadets from A&M. Whoop!
I think Miss Piggy might have just lost her spot as Amanda's favorite horse.
This is Cash, a former race horse and one Amanda really enjoyed riding.
On to the game - sweet Jem was part of the crew that came to cheer on the Lions!
All right boys - let's play some football!
Life is sweeter with these friends
At the end of the day, the Lions won - good game boys!

1 comment:

  1. Sandy- i don't even know you- i used to work with Paula Watson- is she perhaps your mother-in-law?? the story above about singing at your grandfather's funeral was so touching- & such a fine example of God laying his loving hands on you in your time of need. & what you are going through with your daughter- i know i cannot even begin to imagine what that is like- may God bless you all- & give you strength & courage as you walk through this. Beverly Clark

    ReplyDelete