I Corinthians 12:24-27

But God has put the body together.... that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The news I never wanted to post....

Even as I type this, my mind and heart is still having a hard time accepting our day.  Today, our prayers for Amanda to be healed were answered.  Today, Amanda went home to heaven.

Over the past few days, it was heavy on my heart to pray that God would be merciful, take her to her heavenly home and not let her suffer long here on earth.  He answered my prayers, and he answered them quickly. 

Please pray for our family as we find ourselves in the days to come unexpectedly planning to say, not "good-bye", but "see you later, alligator" to our beautiful daughter. 

My sister-in-law posted the blog below recently and it spoke to me so strongly when she wrote it and then it came rushing back to me today.  After deciding to share her post in lieu of trying to write something, a sweet family dropped off a beautiful plaque with same scripture reference.  No coincidence in my mind.

Oh, that tonight my heartbroken soul can find the ability to be still and truly feel God's presence and peace.

When Oceans Quake and Mountains Fall: Be Still
By Lindsey Watson
The other day I turned on my audio Bible (aka the YouVersion app) to play through some Psalms while I puttered around the kitchen.  I’ll be honest: I rarely do this.  I’m a terrible auditory learner and I just don’t get that much out of listening to anything more complicated than a familiar YA story.  But this day, I tried it, and sure enough, out of the thirty or so Psalms that played in my presence, one jumped out into my ears.

If you’ve ever walked through the art section at LifeWay, browsed inspirational Bible quotes on Pinterest, you’ve read Psalm 46: 10: “Be still and know that I am God.”  It’s usually superimposed over a beautiful and tranquil nature scene like a calm mountain lake or a beach sunset.  But the reason I had set the noisy dishes down and was listening closely to verse 10 was because my attention had been jarred by the verses before:

We will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging…
Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts…
Come and see what the Lord has done, the desolations he has brought on the earth. He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth.  He breaks the bow and shatters the spear, he burns the shields with fire.

Now there’s a pin for you: how about the “Be still” verse on top of an image of wild seas, raging fires, and post-war desolation?  And yet– there is something strangely comforting about the juxtaposition of violence and peace that Psalm 46 contains.

Because it’s easy to feel spiritual and trusting when you’re sitting alone beside at a mountain lake.  I’ll be honest- I can bluff through those moments pretty effectively with or without much spiritual reflection.  But when everything I love and trust is collapsing? There’s no bluffing through that.  True, strong faith is developed by taking refuge in God in those moments when the world is melting all around.

This is is where it gets sticky– Psalm 46 makes it clear that God “brings the desolation” and “makes wars cease.” He’s the God of the raging wildfire and the tranquil beaches.  I remember struggling with this after Sam died:

This means that when I’m sad and missing Sam, I have to deal with the fact that the God I turn to for comfort is the same God who decided that Sam’s 34 weeks of life was long enough.
The image of God that’s resonated in my imagination lately is that of the Lion of Judah.  Lions are loud, and powerful, and scary.  No one runs toward the lion out on the Serengeti when they’re needing a little security and rest.
Of course, as C.S. Lewis famously said Aslan, “He is not safe, but he is good.”
But “good” in an eternal sense is not always comforting.  After all, when I “give up control” (ha, ha!) of my family, it means that I am laying down my loved ones in the paws of the Lion who has already seen fit to take one of them away.

But Psalm 46 holds a bit of an answer: when the fires burn and the destruction surrounds and death yawns in your face and you want to sink into fear and despair, Be still.  Know that I am God.  
Ultimately, this is comforting: when I’m at the end of my own energy and cleverness, when I’ve exhausted all of my money and information and social connections and the mountains are still falling into the heart of the sea, all is not lost.  I am to be still, to rest, even as the chaos reigns all around.  I remember that He is God, not me.

He will be exalted among the nations, and somehow, my suffering plays a role in that.
And even when I don’t understand how or why (or when, frankly, I don’t care, because I’d forfeit my role in the grand drama just to make the suffering go away), Psalm 46 ends in comfort:

The Lord Almighty is with us,
The God of Jacob is our fortress.

The ultimate picture of God With Us is Immanuel Himself, Jesus Christ, who suffered for me and who suffers with me.  In the midst of chaos, this is where I hide.

It doesn’t answer all of my questions, but it answers the one underneath all the rest: will I make it through this?

Yes.  By grace, yes.

Be Still.jpg

66 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry! May our good Lord carry you and your family in this time of grief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so very sorry for your loss. Prayers that God will give you peace and strength in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our thoughts are with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers to your family to have peace! We now have another Beautiful Angel in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts and prayers are with your family. My deepest condolences on the loss of your precious baby girl. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Courage and faith.

    ReplyDelete
  8. May you and your family be blessed by the Lord with strength to face this grief. Your beautiful daughter is in her heavenly home safe and sound. You are in me and my family's prayers. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our condolences. Prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and this that was written with so much love made me understand alot of things-- May God Bless all of you because what no matter what anyone says it gets a little better but i will hurt forever-- i lost my husband to cancer on May 4, 2013-- but i know we will be together again in time--

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beverly and Ted MartinAugust 6, 2014 at 9:39 PM

    My heart goes out to your family in their loss. Your precious daughter is in the arms of the Lord. You will grieve your loss but find strength in your faith and in knowing she is with our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love all of you and you are all in our prayers as The Lord graciously comforts and heals your pain. We love Amanda and she blessed our lives just as your entire family has. It has been an honor to be one of your friends an to be a part of this special journey with you. Sandy- you have been such a glorious witness to all who read your blog as you shared your heart and self. You have touched so many lives in the midst of your pain and that is a true heartfelt witness. Thank you.
    Debbie & Jim Schiller

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so incredibly sorry for your family's loss. There are no words. ....My family and I will pray for all of you..
    Love,
    Sarah Nahay Chapman

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yours is the second loss of a tiny one that I have read today. As a mother and grandmother, I can't even begin to imagine your pain. Your faith is amazing. May God bring you peace during the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are praying for Amanda, your family, and the lives who were touched by the beautiful soul of her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have followed Amanda's story and been praying for all of you. I am friends with Amanda Heselmeyer. You are faithful and our Lord loves you so much and will take wonderful care of Amanda. She is now completely healed and will be safe waiting to rejoin her earthly family when it is the right time. Keep the faith. As a friend of mine always says, God is good.....all the time. Abundant blessings for the future. Charlotte Albert

    ReplyDelete
  18. So hard for our family to accept. We are holding onto the joy that Amanda now has a new body - even more beautiful than her original one - that is completely incorruptible. She now has all the energy she needs as she is perfectly busy with new 'hellos', 'nice to meet you's ' and as many hugs and cuddles as she can stand. We are praying for God's comfort for your family. Angry at the pain of this fallen world. Thankful for His everlasting arms to hold us firmly through it

    ReplyDelete
  19. Praying that our God of comfort, love and peace is sustaining you as you grieve the loss of Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So very sorry for your loss. Unimaginable. Prayers for your family that God will reveal His plans and purposes even as you walk through this. May you feel His mighty arms around you and His peace that passes understanding. <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. My prayers are with you. May the Lord wrap each of you in his arms and hold you tight during these moments, hours and days and let you feel the love of your family and friends as your mourn the loss of your beautiful daughter Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sweet Sandy and family... As you reach what surely feels like the very bottom, remember that God is there, waiting to lift you up. He will take your broken wings and help you to fly again, just as he's done for precious Amanda. My strongest prayers are with you! When you feel like reading one of these days, Pastor Steven Furtick's "Crash the Chatterbox" (particularly his section on fear) has given me some morsels of hope. I pray peace and comfort over you now and in the days to come. Take comfort in knowing you are not alone! God bless you always!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so sorry for your loss, You and your family are in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
  24. You all have been such a radiant light~ reflecting God's power, love and mercy through this journey. I believe that many people have grown in their faith and understanding of who God is because you have been willing to share your faith, joys and sorrows with us. We are praying for God's peace, that surpasses all understanding, to comfort you and your family. Our deepest sympathy, The Prinzs

    ReplyDelete
  25. You and your family are and will always be in my thoughts and prayers. God is a mighty God and he loves all of his children. Amanda will always be with you in your hearts and now she will be in heaven with all of the other angels.

    ReplyDelete
  26. so sorry for your loss. You guys are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. My heart goes out to you and your family. Heaven appears to have itself a new bright and beautiful angel! I hope you find peace in God's love..

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so sorry for your loss. you and your family will be in my prayers. god bless you all. heaven has received another beautiful angel.

    ReplyDelete
  29. So very sorry for your heartbreaking loss. Prayers for peace and comfort for all of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Glorious day that Amanda is free of pain and with Jesus. Sincerely sorry for your loss. She must have been a very special and delightful young lady. Treasure your memories of her and with her. Gods blessing for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sorry for for your tragic loss. You will be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  32. We will pray for you. God is deeper. God is deeper still...

    ReplyDelete
  33. May you find comfort in your faith, family, and friends during this time. You are well prayed for, and held by the Lord our God. He hears you when you can not form words, He holds you tight in His arms, rest in His lap and know that He will never let you go. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautifully written and touching. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sandy, Tom and Brandon,
    Our hearts are heavy as we grieve with your family. We are so sorry. Thank you for sharing Amanda with us. She is a precious, beautiful girl. We have always admired your family and your faith and we are praying for strength and comfort for your family during this time. We love you. ~ Lance and Laurie Trdy

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh Sandy, I'm so sorry for you, Tom and Brandon. Amanda is such a sweet soul. Your journaling has taught me so much about faith that I know you will lean on it through this very difficult time. God Bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  37. She was such a gift. We are praying for peace and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am so sorry for your loss. I know this is hard and I am praying for all of you and your family. I am at a loss for words but I know your faith will carry all of you through.

    ReplyDelete
  39. We also said good-bye to our grandson on May 21st, 2013. God needs pure Angels so he recalls our children. We found comfort in a book titled " Is Heaven For Real". But now we know that his pain and suffering is gone and that we have a special Angle in Heaven that watches over us. They may be gone physically but will forever live in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I am saddened with you for your loss.
    My thoughts & prayers are with you all.
    May He give you grace overflowing.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Before the throne of GOD above,your little one sings while we weep. The days are hard,but you are cradled in prayer and love.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'm so very sorry for your great loss.

    "The amount of time on earth matters very little: a man can live in greed and pride 90 years and never find God, know Him or accomplish His Plan. A young child on the other hand, teaches people to love, brings people to the Lord, teaches us the tenuous nature of life and teaches us a faith that those who have not suffered loss can never know. The purpose of a life is not ours to decide nor in our hands: it is brought about by God"

    ReplyDelete
  43. This is heartbreaking news. Yes, God is merciful as he took her suffering and she will prepare a place for everyone, where there is no suffering or sadness. Till you all meet again!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Sorry to hear of your loss. We will keep your family in our prayers and ask God to help keep your eyes on heaven. Even though we do not understand all that takes place in Amanda's struggle. I know that she is not suffering now, but is making a place for you all in that place called heaven for eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  45. May God comfort your aching hearts as only He can.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thomas and Sandy,

    I am so very sorry for your loss.. Words cannot describe..... If you need anything at all. I mean it, anything, please let me know. We are think and praying for your family.

    Archer Scherer

    ReplyDelete
  47. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. May God lift you up in these hard times.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Watson Family,

    I am so very sorry about Amanda's passing. I am praying for you today.

    Romans 8:28 - And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

    John 14:27 - Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

    Taylor Kellogg

    ReplyDelete
  49. May God comfort your family in this time of grieving.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Prayers for your family. I've followed these last few posts quietly via a friend from R.O.C.K. I never had the blessing of knowing your daughter personally. (but I did work with Romeo quite a bit bringing him back after his hoof surgery) Yet her spirit has touched my heart, none the less.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I was heartbroken to hear this and am praying for your family. Your blog has been very inspirational to me and I'm sure many others. She has touched so many more than you know with her short time on this earth. And she is finally at peace. No more pain, no more suffering. She has passed the finish line and is at home with her Father. We will see her again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Watson Family -

    I am deeply saddened to learn of your beautiful Angel's passing. I will keep your family in my prayers during such a difficult time.

    Martha Reuler

    ReplyDelete
  53. The pain of losing one of our babies before us overwhelms me as I type this message. But I know there is peace in the knowlege she is with our God in Heaven. I pray for love and peace in your lives during this life-testing and soul searching moment.

    ReplyDelete
  54. So very saddened and extremely sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Praying that your hearts heal!-Doug Murray

    ReplyDelete
  56. Keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Peace and strength through Jesus Christ will be yours!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Thank you for sharing your 'heart' in your blog. You have touched so many lives with your honesty about the day-to-day and with your ever-abiding faith in Jesus. Your family will continue to be in my prayers. I don't know you personally but I love you dearly! God bless and keep you!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Bless you all
    the mother's evening prayer - mary baker eddy


    O gentle presence, peace and joy and power;
    O Life divine, that owns each waiting hour,
    Thou Love that guards the nestling's faltering flight!
    Keep Thou my child on upward wing to-night.

    Love is our refuge; only with mine eye
    Can I behold the snare, the pit, the fall:
    His habitation high is here, and nigh,
    His arm encircles me, and mine, and all.

    O make me glad for every scalding tear,
    For hope deferred, ingratitude, disdain!
    Wait, and love more for every hate, and fear
    No ill, — since God is good, and loss is gain.

    Beneath the shadow of His mighty wing;
    In that sweet secret of the narrow way,
    Seeking and finding, with the angels sing:
    "Lo, I am with you alway," — watch and pray.

    No snare, no fowler, pestilence or pain;
    No night drops down upon the troubled breast,
    When heaven's aftersmile earth's tear-drops gain,
    And mother finds her home and heavenly rest.

    ReplyDelete
  60. I do not know you or your family, and your blog both broke my heart and gave me hope. Thank you for sharing your story, though the outcome was not what was hoped. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family now that you will have peace knowing that your beautiful daughter is finally able to rest comfortably, peacefully, in God's loving arms until you see her again. May God bless you and your family and give you strength.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Excrutiating news. So sorry for your loss. Prayers to all the Watson family. Please try to find some solace in knowing she is free of pain, and is walking in the light of of His presence.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Tom, Sandy and Brandon, We're so sorry for your loss. Yall have been and will remain in our prayers. Chris and Rhonda Howell

    ReplyDelete
  63. Dearest Sandy, I have watched at a distance this difficult journey you have all traveled. Mainly because I had no idea what to say, or what to do.... I'm not an eloquent person with just the right words, nor do I have just the right Psalm on the tip of my tongue. I remember back to that bright and beautiful young lady 15 years ago, whose biggest worry was that her husband's partner in EMT was a girl. Or, which song you were going to sing next Sunday. I'm so sorry you have had to endure this excruciating heartbreak. I pray that you can find that light again some day, although now it seems impossible. Know you have never left my mind and heart. Much love, Linda Hopper

    ReplyDelete
  64. I am deeply sorry for your loss Tom and Sandy. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Thank you ----- hoping that the web entries are therapeutic for you, they have been amazing to me, and I imagine others too. There are no words of comfort, but I pray Our Creator will fill and surround you with His Comfort, Peace, Strength and Encouragement.

    ReplyDelete