I Corinthians 12:24-27

But God has put the body together.... that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Thanksgiving

I went in to the Thanksgiving week thinking how easy it was going to be for me to show thanks.  That it would just pour out of me with every breath and that I would celebrate and enjoy every moment with family.  Unfortunately, instead of the week I was expecting, I found myself struggling to stay focused on the here and now and not worrying about the future.   For some reason, I have found that during the holidays, that is harder for me to do.

I seemed to be tuned in with laser-sharp awareness of Amanda's actions and movements (not always a good thing!) and there were a few things I saw that really rattled me. It's hard not to react to something new or different.  As usual, Thomas was there to balance my emotional side and be encouraging, practical and calm.  So, I did my best, even though it was a struggle at times, to pray continuously, cherish time spent with family, make beautiful memories, take lots of pictures and watch Brandon and Amanda enjoy spending time with their cousins. 

Our week will be a busy one.  Tomorrow the special edition "Half-way mark" Team Watson shirts come in.  Tuesday Amanda will have a lesson at ROCK, then on Wednesday, Amanda will begin her sixth cycle of chemo if all of her counts are good.  The rest of the week will be juggling Brandon's schedule while Amanda is taking chemo.   Brandon has his first basketball game, a Christmas music program, then a Christmas party to wrap up the week.  All the while, we will be trying to plan and prepare for our trip that is just around the corner!

Amanda continues to do well during this "low count" week of her cycle and really hasn't shown too many symptoms of feeling bad.  Her most recent description of how she feels is that she's "tired."  While that is a new term for her to use describing how she feels, I am sure it is very accurate for this portion of her treatment cycle.

Every day is a challenge, a blessing and an opportunity.  Please keep praying for Amanda to continue to do well during treatment, that she stays healthy and that the treatment is successful in destroying what is left of the tumor.  I've never stopped praying for that miracle.

We took some fun family photos this past week.  It was time for new family pictures on the Smith side and on the Watson side, well, we never pass up a chance for a little craziness by taking a family picture.  Our families are a huge blessing.

For each new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food, for love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I like to call my family "The Herd" because we tend to travel together in a large group. 
The Smith Grandkids
Amanda and Kyle hanging up their ornaments.
I. Love. This. Picture.
The Watson family - look at all the youngins'! There is rarely a quiet, or dull, moment with this group.
The Watson Grandkids. If only you could see what went on behind the camera to get this shot.  Entertaining.
This was a HUGE accomplishment for Amanda.  She hasn't been able to play on the monkey bars since her surgery.  She was so excited, and so were we!

2 comments: