I Corinthians 12:24-27

But God has put the body together.... that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Our Weekend so far

So far, our weekend has been a relaxed one, much to our delight.  We just took our yearly family pictures.  It was hot, muggy and the mosquitoes were terrible!  I have been taking our family pictures since the kids were little, and each year we get a little better at it.  It is always funny to watch us - we pose, I check the camera, then put it on self timer and dash into the shot.  Entertaining for sure. 

PaPa Smith took Amanda hunting and she got her first buck.  He is a beauty.  We are having the horns mounted for her to hang in her room.  She is very proud - as she should be!


As if her first buck wasn't exciting enough, we have another very exciting announcement to share with you.  Amanda has been granted a wish from Make a Wish.  Now, let me just clarify in case you are wondering, this is not an indication of how Amanda is doing, but rather a wonderful opportunity for our family to get away and have some fun during this challenging time.  When we were first approached, I was totally against the idea.  It was just too hard for me to even think about it.  It was explained, however, that the organization has changed it's requirements and they don't only grant wishes for terminal diagnoses, but they grant wishes to children going through serious illnesses that have been nominated by their doctor.  It was still a very hard decision to accept the offer.  That being said, we did accept and Amanda's wish is to go to Montana, ride horses and see snow.   How fabulous does that sound?! Fabulous and cold.  So we are preparing to go Montana next month.  December in Montana.  Yikes.

Amanda continues to slowly get her energy back.  She is starting to show some of her spunk as well.  Since I struggle to live life one day at time, the Jesus Calling devotional from yesterday was very timely for me.  Amanda has been having sore joints from some of her activities.  If you will recall, prior to her diagnosis, this is how all this started - with pain in her joints.  So you can imagine that this sometimes send me into a minor panic mode worrying that there could be a change with her tumor.  I truly believe her soreness is not something to be alarmed about, but rather just expected from physical activity, yet I still find that it weighs heavily on my heart.  Even if there was a change going on, what can I do about it?  Oh, how much energy and emotions I waste on my times of worry.  So grateful that God's timing is good and there is always a reminder sent my way in some form of where my focus truly needs to be.  Often it is Thomas.  This time it happened to be Thomas and the November 16 Jesus Calling devotional:

As you look at the day before you, you see a twisted, complicated path, with branches going off in all directions.  You wonder how you can possibly find your way through that maze.  Then you remember the One who is with you always, holding you by your right hand.  You recall My promise to guide you with My counsel, and you begin to relax.  As you look again at the path ahead, you notice that a peaceful fog has settled over it, obscuring your view.  You can see only a few steps in front of you, so you turn your attention more fully to Me and begin to enjoy My presence.
The fog is a protection for you, calling you back into the present moment.  Although I inhabit all of space and time, you can communicate with Me only here and now.  Someday the fog will no longer be necessary, for you will have learned to keep your focus on Me and on the path just ahead of you.

Psalm 73:23-24 
Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory.

Isaiah 41:10 

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

1 comment: