I Corinthians 12:24-27

But God has put the body together.... that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Going Gold for Amanda


In case you were not aware, September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month, so I am Going Gold to bring awareness to childhood cancer in honor of Amanda.    I don't mean to be rude, ugly or offend anyone, but the "awareness" part sounds a little ridiculous coming from me.....I am, and have been, REALLY aware of childhood cancer for the past eighteen months.  So have those of you that have faithfully followed us on this journey.....just sayin'.  This is the month that we try to bring the awareness to those who have not been personally touched by childhood cancer, so spread the word.

We have been living out the cancer nightmare since February 27, 2013.  We are a part of a group that no one ever wants to join and this disease has forever changed our family in a painful and heartbreaking way.  A dear friend told me recently, prepping me first by reminding me of her bluntness, but quickly following it with love, told me, "You are living a parent's worse nightmare.  No matter your (emotional) state, you are not only not without God and family, you are not without us - the body of Christ, girl.  You hurt, we hurt.  Love you." 

I love my friends.  They have not not only been willing to step into this nightmare with me, but they have walked right beside me, behind me and in front of me -  heartbroken, supporting me - spiritually and figuratively at times, crying right along with me and covering our family with prayer.

We are so blessed.

Psalm 56:8-11
You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book? Then my enemies will turn back in the day when I call. This I know, that God is for men. In God, whose word I praise, in the Lord, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can man do to me?

Keeping with my transparent truthfulness, this whole "awareness month" is a difficult subject for me. Amanda's passing is still so raw and painful, but cancer is something that our family will forever be connected to.  One day, if God calls me down that path, maybe I will be ready to become more of a champion in the battle against this terrible disease, but for now, I am still recovering from the battle we just lost and living day by day, breath by breath.

So for now, this is all I'm able to do, and I am okay with that.  I am incredibly thankful for the unbelievable teams we had fighting right alongside us, giving all that they had, doing their best to beat Amanda's cancer. 

The fabulous team of nurses at Dell Children's Blood and Cancer Center that took care of our girl.
Our team at Georgetown Cancer Center - patient and caring ladies that loved Amanda.
Our team of therapists that worked so well with Amanda.  Even on her grumpy or hard days, they never lost their positive attitude.
Nurse Kristina at Dell Children's Hospital - best nurse ever!  This was ten days after surgery as we were heading home.  One last stop to say good-bye before we checked out.
The wonderful Dr. Harrod, helping Amanda celebrate her 10th birthday while she started chemo at the clinic.
The amazing Dr. George - I have no words that express my gratitude to this man and his God-given talent and abilities.

So while this awareness month might be a painful reminder of what we have lost (nothing new there, I already face that loss everyday) it will also serve as a reminder of what so many other families continue to face.  My goal is that instead of letting it be painful for me, it will be a reminder for me to pray for those families as they walk their journey.

Revelation 21:4
He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

Team Watson will be participating in the Brain Power 5K coming up this Sunday, September 7 in Cedar Park. Amanda is named as one of their 'Powerful People" and you can go to their website to see her picture and bio.  If you are into marathons, there are a still a few days left to register.  (I have never participated in one, and I don't think my three months of Zumba has me anywhere near being able to run it, but I am going to walk it with the best of them!) Go Team Watson!

Also, our local Chili's in Georgetown is Going Gold for September.  They have made a special banner in memory of Amanda.  If you remember, last year in May, while we were in Florida, they also held a special fundraiser for Team Watson.  Please support our local Chili's and thank them for the many ways they have been an encouragement to Team Watson throughout our journey.  

Sometimes, I have no words......love it.

1 comment:

  1. All I have is...
    My cup runneth over.. You are still blessing us
    You and Amanda
    Debbie Schiller

    ReplyDelete