I Corinthians 12:24-27

But God has put the body together.... that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Today we celebrate 18 years of marriage

Eighteen years ago today, I walked down the aisle as a very young 20 year old.  I was head over heels for the also very young 20 year old gentleman that awaited me at the altar.

Our marriage has been anything but dull.  Our wedding day should have been the first clue to that.  We were married at Lawler and 30 minutes before our ceremony was supposed to begin, the electricity went out.  No lights, no AC, no sound system - and a room full of people.  In September.  In Texas.  One of my favorite memories about that situation was my Aunt Wilma coming to me and asking me this, "Thomas wants to know if you need electricity to marry him."  Of course I said no and off she went to get the ceremony started.  So instead of a sound system we had a boombox, and instead of lights, we had candles.  It was a beautiful, memorable and very hot ceremony.  Oh, and by the way, Thomas never asked that question, that was just Wilma's way of getting things going.  Smart lady - it was HOT in that sanctuary!

Through the years, God has blessed our marriage in numerous ways, but the greatest blessings are our two beautiful children. Two children that we prayed for, thanked God for and loved them every day of their lives.  Being a wife and a mother are my two favorite roles in life.  God has used those two relationships to completely change my life.

Thomas, thank you for loving me when I am unlovable, for supporting me in all I do, for being my friend, for giving me the gift of Brandon and Amanda but most of all, for being the head of our house that God has called you to be.  You lead with integrity, love, and commitment. 

While we never dreamed we would bury a child, we firmly believe Romans 8:28:
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

We know that we will spend eternity with Amanda.  This life is but a vapor - it is short in the light of eternity.  That is the hope we live with and the hope we hold on to.  

Thomas, I am thankful that I have you by my side in this crazy thing called life and look forward to what God has in store for us in our next eighteen!  Happy Anniversary!

How about these two young kids?!
September 13, 1997
We had ceramic unity candle and did not know we were supposed to trim the wick before we lit it. So really, it was more of unity flame than candle......
These.....these are the two greatest gifts that have come from our marriage.  How incredibly blessed we are, not only to have each other, but to be parents to these two amazing kids.

1 comment: