I Corinthians 12:24-27

But God has put the body together.... that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Be Still

Be still and know that I am God.......


That is the verse that we focused on the day Amanda died.  I shared my sister in law's blog that was over that chapter in the book of Psalms and felt it was the perfect post for us to share on that day.

Lately, I have felt the overwhelming need to just be still.  It has been a time of seeking God's will for what I am to do now and for spending time with family. It has been a time of reflection and remembrance.  Honestly, there is no better explanation of how I have been feeling than for me to simply be still.

1 Corinthians 10:31
Whatsoever you do, do all to the glory of God. 


So while it has been some time since I have sat down and posted, God has been using this time to make me focus on HIM and understand that as we continue to live this new life as we know it - God is still in control and no matter what else may come our way, His ways are best.  I say that because there have been many challenges and heartaches faced in the past three weeks, but I know personally that God is the supreme comforter and there is nothing that can come our way that he will not sustain us through.

So as the storm rages around me, I know my anchor is solid.  Scriptures say, "He who has promised is faithful" and I will cling to that.  I'm going to need that assurance in the weeks to come and with the holidays coming up.  It's a strange reality that life is going on, and even though we have dealt with our share of grief and sorrow, it does not make us immune to facing more grief and sorrow.

"Not knowing His will in every circumstance heightens our awareness of our need for Him and enhances our ongoing relationship with Him." Elisabeth Elliot

My heart wants to rage against the unfairness of it all and shout, "Haven't I hurt enough?"  Yet my soul knows better.  God has prepared us to walk alongside people who are suffering and provide them with comfort and encouragement.  It is through the times of suffering and walking through the dark unknown valleys that we truly learn how to fully depend on God and not let the circumstances we face steal our joy.  Much easier typed than lived out, but one of my all time favorite verses teaches me that to be true.

Isaiah 43:1-3
“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
    I have summoned you by name; you are mine.

When you pass through the waters,
    I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
    they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze.

For I am the Lord your God,
    the Holy One of Israel, your Savior."


It says it right there - God has called me by name and I am his.  When I walk through the challenges and trials that are before me, He is by my side.  I take great comfort and delight in that.  I have mentioned this song before, but I heard it today and as music often does, it comforted me much like a warm fire on a cold day.  

Come as You Are by Crowder
Come out of sadness
From wherever you’ve been
Come broken hearted
Let rescue begin
Come find your mercy
Oh sinner come kneel
Earth has no sorrow
That heaven can’t heal
Earth has no sorrow
That heaven can’t heal 


So in the days to come, whether I am grieving Amanda, or walking alongside a friend through trials and heartaches of their own, I will depend on the truth found in God's word.  

And I will focus on His peace and His joy. 

You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed in you, because he trusts in you.  Isaiah 26:3

No comments:

Post a Comment